Saturday, May 23, 2009

Row, Row, Row Your Boat






I slept until 10:00 today and that felt great! Ziggy and I hung out until my work started at 2:00pm. It is so fun to ride your bicycle to your job and Jeff has gotten us big baskets to carry all our stuff, just like when we were kids.
My first assignment was to be the host at Evergreen Square. You stroll the grounds and help out where needed. Today there was a cookout under the red and white striped tent with hamburgers, hot dogs and other treats. Along with that were field games ending with a tug of war. Jeff had helped serve up the food and he and I both ended up helping to rent the pedal carts. It was a mob scene and some of the time every cart was out on the grounds.

At 3:45 I pedaled over to the boat ramps along the river. This was my first time working there and I was to close up alone at 8pm. Another worker named Darrell was there when I arrived and we worked together for a while. I love being near the water and sending happy people adrift in kayaks and canoes. We had four teenage girls in double kayaks who had never paddled before. They were funny to watch, but finally got the hang of it and did well. I took out a single kayak and then an electric boat just so I could have the experience. You have to be careful to stay out of the current going upstream and then go into the current coming downstream so it does all the work.

I had so many nice people in the boats and some special memories were made for some families. One couple and their two girls were from Upper Makefield, just a few miles from where we lived in Yardley. And last night we met a man who works in Trenton. It is fun to meet people and find out what a small world this is.

My job consisted of handing out life jackets, dragging the boats into the water and giving out oars and instructions. At closing I had to lock up all the boats and make sure all the electric boats are hooked up to their chargers. Finally I hosed everything down to remove most of the mud. Jeff and Ziggy walked down to visit as I was closing and I enjoyed seeing them, even though Ziggy did some river swimming and was particularly muddy, but happy. We also saw two families of geese with goslings.

When I was finally done, just after 8:00, I biked to the square again to return the radio and clock out. I got home and took a hot shower while Jeff built a campfire. A perfect end to a perfect day.

No comments: