Saturday, June 21, 2008

The Chicken Dance


I know I used the same title last year, but the town is named Chicken so what else works? The drive today is an hour and a half and the road gets a passable grade. It is a beautiful day and the sun is shining and it is actually warm. It is also the summer solstice, the longest day of the year. That is especially meaningful when you are this far north and it never gets really dark anyway.

Chicken is an old gold mining area and now has three small commercial areas. We stay at the Chicken Gold Camp which is a RV park with gold panning, gift shop, cafe and gold dredge tours. Across the road is a bakery and gift shop and the third area has another RV park and gift shop. We spent the day trying our luck with the gold pans. I found two tiny flakes and after inserting them into a small vial with water - could not find them. Jeff and I went into the gold dredge and got the tour. It is interesting, but smelly and dirty. I did a little shopping and eating and spent the rest of the day asleep in the sun.

After cooking dinner we had a group dessert with the park owners. They served a blueberry cobbler a la mode and talked a little about the area and their gold mining experience. Part of the presentation is a quiz with prizes. While we didn't win anything a peculiar thing happened. The gal distributes torn up scratch paper to write the answers and then collects them. Obviously she reuses the sheets because I was given my paper from last year. It was so strange to look at the paper and see my name and handwriting on it. What are the chances? I kept the paper to remind me of the episode.

No comments: