Thursday, May 22, 2008

Showboat



This morning we are up bright and early to visit the SS Klondike, a grand old stern wheeler which ran on the Yukon River. In her heyday she ferried passengers and cargo up and down the river in the warm months and was dry docked when the river froze the rest of the year. The Canadian Park Service gives tours of the ship and also has an informative movie. Our group had a private tour and enjoyed seeing the cargo and passenger areas and learning abut her history.


Later Jeff and I led a hike through Miles Canyon to Canyon City. This is a wooded area along the banks of the Yukon River where the Klondike miners waited for passage to the gold fields. Many spent harsh winters while dreaming of striking it rich. The hike begins by crossing a shaky bridge across the Yukon and follows dirt trails which can be a little strenuous. It was a brisk day and I enjoyed getting the exercise. Other than walking Ziggy we sit and drive or we're busy eating, so a hike was quite welcome.


After returning safely we did some shopping (for more food) and I got my nails done. Last year I met a lovely lady who has a nail salon in her home. Her name is Pamela and we got along great. She did my nails on the trip up and back last year and we enjoyed talking about her upcoming trip to Italy. This year she was able to tell me about her wonderful trip and I look forward to seeing her again on our return.

No comments: