Saturday, May 10, 2008

Saskatoon


I love saying the name of this city. Actually - I like the city. This is the second time we stayed here. Last year was in a campground north of the city. It was a great campground, and we really liked it.

Last year we needed to get some work done on HaRVey the RV and we found a dealer in Saskatoon who could handle it. They went out of their way to be helpful. While we were waiting for the service to be done we went to the local Wal-mart and did some shopping. We also had breakfast in the McDonald's inside the store and hung out for a while.

What does this story have to do with this trip? This year we stayed in the parking lot of that same Wal-mart!

As I mentioned in my previous post, we had intended to go across Montana on a scenic route that took us 200 miles out of our way. Well the weather was not conducive to a long scenic drive (rainy and 39 deg), so we headed north from Williston toward the Canadian border.

Crossing into Canada on Route 16 we were asked the question I expected from the Canadian customs agent after she asked where we were from: "Why are you crossing here? It's not on any direct route from South Carolina." I know that smugglers, etc.sometimes use the smaller border crossings to avoid scrutiny.

I explained how we had aborted our scenic route, and she seemed to be happy. I was happy too as we had eaten lunch at the small diner where I had a hot roast beef sandwich and fries, all smothered in brown gravy! A perfect meal for a cold, rainy day.

No comments: