Friday, June 23, 2006

The family that plays together...

As is my wont I will let Judy fill in the details of what we did today. I prefer to make observations. My observation today is about families.

At the national parks in general - and Yosemite in particular - we see lots of families traveling together. I mean families with kids - 2, 3, even 4 generations. I watch them interact and I know that these kids are going to grow up remembering this quality time for the rest of their lives.

The family unit can be almost anything. Kids carried in backpacks up though teens. Grandparents, aunts & uncles, brothers & sisters - everybody you can think of.

This is real quality time. Hiking together, taking pictures, swimming, rafting, horseback riding, and, yes, camping.

Yosemite is a perfect place for this kind of excursion (but make sure you stay in the park). There is every kind of accommodation you can imagine from a luxury hotel to tent cabins, RV sites to carry-in campsites.

You grandparents out there - you know who you are. Grab the kids and the grandkids (or just the grandkids!) and make reservations out here. If you are adventurous you can rent an RV from any one of several nationwide locations. Fly in. Pack up (they supply the linens, etc.). And come to Yosemite. It's a real growing closer experience sharing a 2 x 3' bathroom with the kids.

We would love to share some tips with you. You know where to find us.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I loved giving my kids experiences instead of things as they were growing up and I continue to do this, on a smaller scale, with my grandchildren. You will have to ask them if they enjoyed the trips as much as I did.