Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Isn't it Romantic?

A beautiful sunny day and I drove the shuttle this morning making three trips to Great Escape - Six Flags Theme Park. A perfect day to enjoy the rides. In the afternoon I rented the pedal carts and supervised the adult swim time in our large swimming pool.

Jeff and I are off by six and decided to go out to dinner. We drove south a few exits on the Northway to South Glens Falls. We ate at Massie's, an authentic Italian eatery with great food. They start you off with delicious garlic toast and regular bread with butter and chicken liver pate. This comes with a crispy relish tray with really good olives. The first course was a small garden salad followed by a big bowl of delicious chicken vegetable soup. I had my soup wrapped to take home as I was already full by this time. My main course was stuffed eggplant parmesan with lots of ricotta cheese inside thin layers of eggplant covered with mozzarella and tomato sauce. This came with a side of spaghetti. Jeff opted for home made spaghetti with two large pork chops covered in tomato sauce. We'll definitely go back as this reminded me of Italian places in Chambersburg where my family ate when I was growing up.

On the ride home we stopped at Cooper's Cave on the Hudson River between the Village of South Glens Falls and the City of Glens Falls. This is the cave and waterfalls that inspired James Fenimore Cooper when writing The Last of the Mohicans. Cooper explored the "dark and silent caves" in 1825 while visitng the Adirondacks. Today there is a viewing platform with good signage explaining the area. Unfortunately this dammed section of the river is entirely surrounded by industrial plants using the water for power. It was really depressing to stand amidst the buildings and smokestacks and imagine how pristine it must have been.

No comments: