Friday, August 14, 2009

Campfire Memories

It's Friday, and I'm still smiling about our campfire Wednesday night. It was everything I was hoping our campfires would be this year. We had 35-40 people, and they were really into it.

We started with a circle game - Aardvark and Platypus - that we learned from our boss on the RV treks. It is a silly game, and everyone was laughing hysterically. Then we sang a couple of kid's songs followed by our kazoo march. (If you haven't been following the blog, we had kazoos printed with the campground logo. We give them out to the campfire guests and everyone marches around to the tune of This Old Man. Not coincidentally, the real title of this song is The Children's Marching Song.)

I sang a couple of songs - including Rickety, Tickety, Tin in honor of Halloween - and then Judy read a scary story. I followed up with a shaggy dog story (The Tiz Bottle) and we sang some more. The group divided into 3 parts for Rock My Soul, and really enjoyed Right Field and Marvelous Toy.

As always, we finished up with everyone on their feet for America, the Beautiful.

Kids were sitting on parent's laps or curled up on blankets next to mom and dad. It was as American as apple pie and it put a smile on my face. Some of my happiest childhood memories are of singing camp songs around a fire. I think that is why these campfires are so important to me.

Our corporate mission statement says in part that our job is "creating generations of memories." I think we did our job Wednesday night.

No comments: