Wednesday, March 19, 2014

When You're 64

The dreaded day The Beatles sang about is here. I am 64 today! Never felt better so I am celebrating. I slept well and up at 6:00 am. Dressed and ready for breakfast and work. Today I ate half a hard boiled egg. Luckily there was a surprise party for me mid morning with a chocolate roll cake. All our group were there and sang to me. Jeff gave me a card and one from Sirius that he had brought from home. He is so thoughtful.


Lunch was really good today with clumpy spaghetti and meatballs or bolognese sauce. Italian leftover bread on the tables along with salads and tehina (sort of) sauce. They also had roasted eggplant which I loved. Tangerines for dessert. I am cleaning filthy dirty radio cases. It is rewarding to make them sparkle. After work I am wearing sandals to make my feet feel good and jeans. I am writing from a picnic table in front of the work building. Jeff has counted and there are 100 steps from the breakfast building to the work area. Our dorm is in the middle. We should lose a few pounds with the dreadful food and gain some muscle from the exercise. 

Tomorrow we are scheduled to work a half day and then start our weekend. A bus will take us to the closest bus station and we will continue to Haifa. From there we will head north to the town where we will meet Shulamit, Hannoch and Shaul. We'll stay there three nights and return to our base on Sunday morning. They have told us there will be a trip one day next week, but who knows where?

Dinner was great tonight. We had shashouka! It is scrambled egg with tomatoes that I learned about from our Israeli house guests years ago. After dinner we had our meeting which was a history of the Suez War which led to the formation of Sar-El. Our madrichot Mya and Anna do a great job and work well together. Mya is from Califormia and made Aliyah by herself a few years ago. She speaks Spanish, English and Hebrew. Anna came here with her family from France and speaks French, English and Hebrew and maybe more languages. We are so lucky to have them taking care of our group.



We finished our meeting about 9:30 and went home to pack for the weekend. Tomorrow we will work until 11:00 and then have an hour to get ready. I will use that time to do some laundry. A bus will pick us up after lunch and we will go to the bus station. Jeff and I will head to Haifa and then onto Nesher where we will meet Hannoch and family. 

No comments: