Sunday, April 01, 2012

Garden Party

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Posted by Picasa
A beautiful day in nature for me. I drove to Roanoke and visited the Elizabethan Gardens. It was a riot of color with azaleas, rhododendrons and camelias as well as some bulbs like tulips and daffodils. The drone of bees and the delicious scents made me dizzy with delight. The gardens have well marked paths and interesting statues set in picturesque grottoes.
When I was done indulging my senses I went next door to the Roanoke Visitor Center. I saw the displays and watched a movie on the lost colonists including infant Virginia Dare.
On the way home I stopped at the Pea Island Wildlife area and walked their pretty trail. It is a good mix of ponds, scrub and open areas. Lots of water birds and song birds. One pond had a large collection of turtles who came up to the surface to watch the visitors.
Back at the campground I found that Jeff and Ziggy had relaxed all day. We cooked dinner in and will pack up and leave early in the morning.

No comments: