Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Rain, Rain, Go Away...


Wednesday we have our first rain, but it clears by the afternoon. We are driving north on I-29 and pass such interesting towns as Drayton, ND, the catfish capital of the north. I didn't notice any lakes or fish farming, go figure!

We crossed the border into Canada and as usual amazed that it is so easy to move from one country to another. Drove north to Winnipeg which has a population of over 600,000. Looked like a lovely city, but we didn't do the tourist thing. I went to the Asper Jewish Community Center to do some genealogical research. I am looking for an uncle of my father who emigrated to Winnipeg in 1913. Didn't have much luck, but got a few leads. The building I was in is part of a huge campus with a day school, museum and JCC. I am very impressed. Jeff and Ziggy ran a few errands and picked me up and we immediately started our drive west.

4pm and we have travelled over 2000 miles from South Carolina. We are now on Canadian Highway 16 which is known as the Yellowhead. Very pretty and lots of green fields and birds and ducks. We spend the night camping at Lions Riverbend in Neepawa, Manitoba. This is a delightful space in a picturesque little town. The camp area has walking trails and ponds and we are able to stroll around with Ziggy and enjoy the beautiful fresh air. We are in Central Time here and it doesn't get completely dark until 10:30.

No comments: