Friday, April 30, 2010

The Motorcycle Song

I know I've used this title before, but it is the only song I know that mentions a pickle. I don't want a pickle, I just want to ride on my motorcycle... Thanks Arlo Guthrie. Anyway I play pickleball. Wow - you say, what is that! It is a game that is played on a badminton size court using a wiffle type ball and a racket that looks like a ping pong paddle. We play doubles and I love it as do the other 800+ members of the club here at Sun City.

Now to my story. I just finished playing in the spring co-ed league and it was very exciting. It was my third time playing in the leagues and fun to be competitive. Well this year our team was great, but mediocre in the standings. The last game of the season we only had two of our four players, me and our captain Ruth. Our two men were not available as one had left for the summer and the other was having serious spinal issues. The last game we played the first place team and beat them 3-2 knocking them out of first place which angered them. That was Monday and somehow we ended up in third place with the play-off games on Wednesday afternoon.

Ruth and I arrived to find that we had to play the same team that we had met on Monday. It was very tense and lots of onlookers and other teams cheering us on. Somehow we won three games in a row putting us into the final match. We were so tired by this time that we were giddy, but determined to do our best.

We trotted out and won the first game which made us whoop with delight. Lost the second and third games and then came back to win game four. This was excellent pickleball and even though we were pooped we gave it our best against the four players who were our competition and had time to rest every other game. The score is 7-0 our favor and we just fell apart and lost the last game. It didn't matter as we had a hell of a day and lots of encouragement from our fans.

So the pickleball league is over and I look forward to playing again in the fall league. Meanwhile I played for an hour and a half at 8am today and loved every minute. Go ahead and "google" pickleball to find out more. It is a fun game and good exercise and I am hooked.

No comments: